Saturday, January 5, 2008

365: Genesis 10-12 (Day 4)

Once again, it does a wonderful thing for my perspective to read the Bible from a fresh translation. I have also determined to read the Bible as early in the day as possible this year, and to select one verse for a daily meditation. This is a practice I picked up from Dave Ferguson who pastors Community Christian Church in the Chicago area.

As I was reading yesterday's assignment from The Bible in 365 (I'm using the New Century Version this year), one verse caught me: They [Abram's father Terah and his entire family, including Abram and Sarai] had planned to go to the land of Canaan, but when they reached the city of Haran, they settled there (Genesis 11:31).


Terah wanted to take his family to Canaan. It was a long journey (see map with Haran labeled Charan). ...when they reached the city of Haran, they settled there. I have two observations about that sentence.
  1. I can't get past the word settled. How often do we have a God-given goal in mind, yet stop half-way, settling for something less than God intended? Is that what happened to Terah? Or...

  2. ...sometimes the journey to where God is leading us takes more than just one generation. Sometimes we are blessed to take our families all the way; sometimes our kids or even our grandkids will finish the journey we began.

What's God been saying to you through your Bible reading in this new year?

No comments: