Sunday, January 6, 2008

Eye Contact

In D.C. last weekend, I was surprised to encounter so many homeless. Other than a one-day quick visit, we hadn't been there in several years. On a cold and rainy Sunday morning there were large numbers of impoverished people bundled in dirty blankets sheltered against the elements. At least three people came up to us asking for money, and that's not counting the street musicians, some of whom were very good. I found myself very uncomfortable and avoiding eye contact, as if that made me less responsible to help my fellow man.

Jesus charged us to be salt and light to the world around us. We all know salt doesn't do any good shut up in the shaker, and light doesn't do any good hidden under a basket. In short, the church was not intended to be passive, waiting for the world to come knock its doors down, but to actively engage its culture. The church is you.

In my 365 reading this week, I came across the account of Cain and Abel. The NCV quoted Cain like this: Is it my job to take care of my brother? In avoiding eye contact with the homeless in Washington, I was silently asking the same question: Is it my job to take care of my brother? What I was seeking is plausible deniability. As if by not seeing, I was absolved of my responsibility to render aid.

In Matthew 25:42-44 the King speaks to those on his left: ...I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.

They respond: Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you? We intentionally avoided eye contact to limit our liability! Okay, I added that last part... but you get the point, right?

And it isn't necessarily going to be someone hungry for food. It might be someone hungry for a kind word, or thirsty for a caring smile. It doesn't have to be dramatic to make an impact.

In the coming days you will find yourself in a situation where you're given a choice: you will choose to either 1) avoid eye contact, or 2) intentionally connect with one of God's precious children. Will you go for plausible deniability? Or will you let God touch someone through you? It might happen in church, at Wal-Mart, or out on the street. When it happens, you'll remember this post, and I hope you do the right thing. I hope you do better than I did in D.C. No doubt I'll have another opportunity, too. I hope I do better this time.

Send me a good report of the blessing you receive by simply connecting with one of God's children.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Pls check out my latest blog entry "my birthday with the homeless" @ http://churchformenflorida.blogspot.com