Friday, August 1, 2008

The Masked Evangel (or Why Do I Blog?)

This is actually two blogs from many months ago edited into one introductory blog for a newer audience. Enjoy.

My favorite childhood hero was Zorro. Several actors played the role, but the all time best was Guy Williams from the 1950s television series (later to be Professor John Robinson of Lost in Space fame).

The show revolved around Don Diego de la Vega, the university educated son of a rich 1820s California landowner. Diego saw the plight of the poor and downtrodden, and set about to defend them from their oppressors. For protection, he kept his identity a secret, hence the mask. By day he was a gentleman, but by night, he donned the mask and cape of an outlaw, brandishing his rapier to defend the weak, and leave lovely senoritas weak in the knees.

Lester Cuneo played a similar role in the 1920s silent film The Masked Avenger. As an old west rancher pushed to the limit by cattle thieves, Cuneo rode the starlit prairies wearing the mask of a criminal to punish rustlers left unchallenged by inept and crooked lawmen.

Zorro and the Masked Avenger were not the first in this genre of masked hero, and they aren't the last either. Batman is cut from the same cloth. All these heroes have one thing in common: They were disguised as criminals and forced to fight their battles under the cover of darkness.

What’s that have to do with blogging and the good news of Jesus Christ? Not a blessed thing. I just thought, as a play on words, The Masked Evangel was a pretty cool name for a blog. Which brings up the question, Why do I blog? I’m glad you asked.

Here’s my 4-part answer:

  1. I blog to improve the preaching experience. Sometimes I use my blog to share a preview of what's coming Sunday. Other times I might have a you should have said moment. In the past there wasn't really anything I could do about those moments; now I can blog about them. I can comment about Sunday past or the Sunday to come.
  2. I blog to improve church communication. This is a great forum where we can talk about what's happening in the church, what's already happened, or what needs to happen. Sometimes people ask me questions, and I wonder, If one person is asking, could other people be wondering the same thing? I can address the issue in my blog, and even those who didn't voice the question can benefit from the discussion.
  3. I blog to improve our relationship. Many people only know their pastor for what they see on Sunday morning, nothing more. Hopefully I'm the same person through the week as I am on stage, but come on; I only have 30 or so minutes on Sunday. I don't have time to talk about everything that happened in the 167 hours since we were together last. My blog helps you know me better, with anything from a theological discussion, to pictures from a family vacation, and even to rants and raves about a movie or my favorite TV show. It helps me be more transparent.
  4. Finally, I blog to improve myself. I utilize blogging as a spiritual discipline—sort of an online journal. Blogging about a book I’m reading or a Scripture passage helps me understand it better. I know writing about it helps me; if it helps someone else, then so much the better.
Join the conversation! This isn’t meant to be one-way communication. Click on the Comments link, or send me an email. Now that you've been introduced to The Masked Evangel, I hope you'll subscribe to the RSS feed (it’s free—ask me if you don’t know how) and join me as we take off our masks and celebrate life together.

No comments: