Thursday, December 4, 2008

Another Chapter in the Moving Saga

We arrived in Oregon almost two months ago. Since we got here, I haven't seen my Masters Degree. I hadn't gotten it framed yet, so it was packed snuggly in a briefcase that I was hoping would protect it from the rigors of moving. I was pretty sure it was either in Janelle's car or my truck, and not on the moving truck, but I haven't seen it. I've been thinking about getting a couple things framed, and my seminary degree is one of them. I've got my office set up to the place it feels like my office, except that there's a blank space on one wall screaming for my Masters Degree. I've consoled myself with the thought that the attache case containing my Masters Degree is probably somewhere in a closet... it's got to be... right?

I got a phone call this afternoon. A gentleman found the briefcase, containing my Masters Degree lying alongside the road in Warrenton, Missouri. It was just down the street from where we traded Janelle's car (read the epic tale here and here). Apparently, as we drove out of the dealership with our new Dodge Charger and my hastily reloaded 20th century Mazda B2500 pickup, my Masters Degree bearing briefcase bounced to the curb without my knowledge.

The briefcase was picked up by an employee of a car dealership (not where we bought Janelle's new car, but the next one on the strip). He ran into a man who works with Child Evangelism Fellowship, and asked if he might have any way of finding the owner of a briefcase marked Anderson University School of Theology. The Good Samaritan accepted the challenge. He looked through the briefcase contents and found enough information to call Western Pennsylvania Ministries of the Church of God in Emlenton, PA, who were surprised at the phone call but kind enough to give the man my cell number. He called me today, and my degree is coming home!

I was so shocked at the phone call that I neglected to write down his name, but as soon as my briefcase arrives in the mail, I'll give him a shout out here. For now I guess the best I can do is give accolades to Child Evangelism Fellowship. Check out their web site.

I'm smiling ear to ear as I anticipate getting this package in the mail, getting the degree framed and on my wall. After all, I worked hard for it. That will complete the move-in.

I've often given God credit for how amazingly he cared for me and my family over the time we were searching for a new ministry assignment. We feel blessed to be in Aloha, OR, and now we bask in just one more token of God's love in the return of my degree.

C'mon, God!

No comments: