Sunday, December 28, 2008

Our Forgetful God

What a great day! I thoroughly enjoyed church today. We had low attendance two weeks ago, and then had to cancel the service last week, all because of the weather. And the weather didn't really improve much before Christmas Eve, so our service was... I can only say intimate. All that made today even better. We had everyone back, and the enthusiasm was contagious!

As much as I enjoy our worship every Sunday, I really got into putting together and leading worship this morning. Since I'm not leading worship regularly, my throat is really out of shape. During rehearsal, it felt tight and I couldn't reach some of the notes. But what a difference 90 minutes and the presence of the Holy Spirit makes. I felt like I could have sang all day.

I had also felt like I'd left something unfinished, since Christmas was three days ago and I still hadn't preached part four of our Advent series: Christmas Grace. Well, it's not unfinished any more (is that a double negative?). This morning's teaching, only a week late, was Christmas Grace Means God Won't Forget Us.

We read in Isaiah 49:14-16 - Zion said, "The Lord has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me."
-
"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget [as unlikely as that is], I will not forget you. See, I have [carved] you on the palms of my hands."
-
But God is forgetful about one thing.

I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more. (Jeremiah 31:34)

God forgets your sin, but he'll never forget you!

No comments: